Can't change font, copy/paste ruins paragraph spacing, and I can't make single apostrophes

We appreciate your feedback - please let us know how we can improve AllProWebTools.
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

Can't change font, copy/paste ruins paragraph spacing, and I can't make single apostrophes

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

Hello,

I'm trying to create a web page, and am running into 3 problems, 2 of which are fairly serious. Here's the page in question: http://www.totalsmileprotection.com/The ... -T-System/

1. The website builder is turning my single apostrophes into double apostrophes – for example, instead of saying “Dentist's”, it says “Dentist"s”, which makes me look bad as a copywriter. No matter how many times I change it to a single apostrophe, it replaces it with a double after I hit "save", even after I use shift-F5 on the website page.

2. When I copy and paste text into APWT, it gets rid of the lines between paragraphs, and increases the gap between paragraphs. So instead of the kind of paragraph breaks you see while writing a response to this forum, I get the kind where you hit the down key once to move from one paragraph to another. If I paste directly from a Google doc control-shift-C, that's the result I get; if I just use control-C, I get the additional line between paragraphs (good), but I also get the extra space between lines (bad).

I used to have a workaround in which I pasted from the Google doc into a Notepad document, then into an APWT blog post, then into the web page. Cumbersome, but effective. But even that doesn't work anymore.

Honestly, I’ve always felt that the whole “text processors add extra spaces between paragraphs for you” function should be banned from the entire internet forever. >_<; It invariably wastes more time in re-formatting after copying and pasting than it’s ever saved me in hitting “enter” an extra time between paragraphs.

3. It unconditionally WILL NOT let me change the font in this web page. Even if I change it from Helvetica to Big Caslon in the builder, once I hit "save", it reverts to Helvetica. This happens even if I don't click on the typing box after I make the change.

I wonder how many of the chronic font-related issues I’ve been experiencing are due to the APWT platform itself, and how many are due to coding in the themes that interacts negatively with APWT as a whole. Do the themes and the platform largely follow the same coding rules (or whatever it is that makes themes and website builders compatible)? Is the coding for the theme overriding the coding in APWT?

Thanks in advance for your help.
NoahBaldwin
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Can't change font, copy/paste ruins paragraph spacing, and I can't make single apostrophes

Post by NoahBaldwin »

Hello,

Thank you for bringing these to our attention! These issues have been addressed. Please try editing webpage again and let us know how it goes!
If you encounter any of these issues still, you may need to clear your browser's cache. Feel free to start a screen share - we'd be more than happy to walk you through this.
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Re: Can't change font, copy/paste ruins paragraph spacing, and I can't make single apostrophes

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

Thanks, Noah! The apostrophe and font issues have been resolved, but the paragraph issue is still happening. I've attached a screenshot to demonstrate. The text in the screenshot explains what happens when I add text or create paragraph breaks in different ways.
AllPro paragraph spacing problem.png
AllPro paragraph spacing problem.png (65.05 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
NoahBaldwin
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NoahBaldwin »

Thanks for the detailed information. Can you please try the copy/paste in this editor: https://www.tiny.cloud/docs/demo/full-featured/ and let me know the results? Is this editor keeping the spacing the way you'd like?
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

You're welcome. It occurs to me that there's a typo in the info I sent you; instead of "control-C" and "control-shift-C", it should say "control-V" and "control-shift-V".

I tested the editor you linked, and have attached the results.
tiny.cloud paragraph formatting screenshot.png
tiny.cloud paragraph formatting screenshot.png (65.17 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
NoahBaldwin
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NoahBaldwin »

Thanks so much for testing out that link. The link provided was to a 3rd party company not related to AllProWebTools. We have discovered that the world of technology has decided on some "standards" when it comes to text editing. These standards seem to be ubiquitous across most software and result in the behaviors that you are demonstrating.

In an effort to stay relevant and in step with other text editors, AllProWebTools will continue to follow these standards as explained in this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4153

We very much appreciate your input and would like to assist you further (wherever possible) if your text editing experience is not in step with comparable online text editing software. To my knowledge, the experience that you are reporting occurs in the default Wordpress editor and other online blogging platforms.
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

Thanks for the clarification on the reasons for the double-spacing. I've never liked automatic paragraph spacing and I probably never will (it ALWAYS wastes more time than it saves when I'm working with text I have to copy and paste), but I can understand why you're doing it.

Suggested middle ground: would it be possible for you to add a feature to the text processor that enables users to manually get rid of the extra space? Eg. I paste in text that has a blank line between paragraphs. The blank line stays there, but due to APWT's automatic paragraph spacing, the gap between paragraphs is now huge. I go to the "Format" tab, select "Paragraph", and see that the text is automatically set to double-space between paragraphs, but I have an option to set it to single-space. I select single-space, and now it's spaced the same way as the text in these forum posts.

Do you think that would be viable?
NoahBaldwin
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NoahBaldwin »

Yes, this can be done! Here's how to accomplish this:
1. Navigate to your stylesheet: Settings->Administrator->Stylesheet
2. Add the following CSS: p {margin: 0;}
3. Save the file and reload your webpage. Note: If you do not see the change on the page, you may need to turn caching off. (Settings->DNS Records)

Please note: You will not see this change in the Webpage Editor, but you will see it reflected on the website. If the margin does not look the way you'd like, try editing the stylesheet to: p {margin: 5px;} This number can be adjusted to make the spacing look exactly how you'd like. Remember to refresh your webpage each time you update the stylesheet - not the Webpage Editor as this will not change.

Let us know how it works for you!
Stephanieo2940
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Post by Stephanieo2940 »

Thanks, Noah. I tried that in account c3430, but while it makes "enter" work the way I want it to in the website editor, it still looks wrong on the website itself. I've attached a screen shot to show what happens if I hit "enter" twice to create a new paragraph, as opposed to using shift-enter.
APWT spacing fail after stylesheet adjustment.png
APWT spacing fail after stylesheet adjustment.png (53.26 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
NoahBaldwin
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NoahBaldwin »

You can change the number in the stylesheet to make it look exactly how you'd like. If you 'd like more spacing, try p {margin: 10px;}. You can change the number to whatever suits your need, just leave the "px" after the number. When you find the number that works for you, just save it in your stylesheet and the spacing will stay consistent with the way you'd like.