No solution for exporting my blog

Need help? Please give a detailed explanation of your problem.
Terry1976
meble kuchenne Mikołów Knurów Czechowice-Dziedzice

No solution for exporting my blog

Post by Terry1976 »

I've asked over chat for a way to export my blog posts in order to transfer them to a new site hosted with WordPress, how can I do this?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Re: No solution for exporting my blog

Post by JohnB »

Hello Terry,

We have been working on a solution for you since you first requested this 3 days ago, and have just gotten a blog exporter added to the Settings->Import/Export page of AllProWebTools.

If you head to Settings->Import/Export and go to the box titled User Data Download you should see a button titled Export Blog. This will download your blog content (title, date, and the content itself) into an xml file. Any pictures that you used in your blog you can retrieve by clicking the Download User Files button, and the pictures will be found inside that zip file under the folder /content/uploads.

Please let me know if you have any further issues!
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Hello,

I just attempted to export a blog out of APWT and import into a WordPress site as well. I was able to create the XML file, but I was not able to import it. I tried installing a plugin called 'WP All Import' that is able to import just about any XML file into WordPress, and it claimed that the APWT XML file was not a vaild XML.

Is there anyway to create a XML file that is able to be imported into WordPress?
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

We just made a small change to the blog export file, so it should be recognized as a valid .xml file now.

Could you please try again, and let me know if you still have difficulties!
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Hi John,

I just tried exporting a new XML file and it is still saying that the XML file is not valid. I even did a hard refresh of the page and did another export and it did not work.

I will look for your next response on monday and will try this again then.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

I just tried out the WP All Import Debug Site and it did not say I had an invalid xml file.

Perhaps you could try uploading your file on the WP All Import Debug Site and see if that gives any more information.

And if that still gives you the same error, could you send us the xml file you are using, and provide us with the website you are trying to export the AllProWebTools blog from?
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Hi John,

I just tried this again and now it says that it is a valid file. But did you complete the steps to make a test import? Even though it is valid, the plugin did not recognize any of the content or page titles to be imported... It saw all the pieces, but it seemed as if it did not recognize them as what they should have been. When I get to reviewing how the title and content looks, this warning displays: "This doesn't look right, try manually selecting a different root element on the left."

I just ran through the importer and followed all the steps and after it was completed, no posts were created as it seems like none of the parameters were correct.

If at all possible, can you try running through the steps? I don't know much about the WP All import debug site, but it seems you should be able to run through the WP All Import plugin using that.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

Yes, I was able to go through the entire import and create new blog posts using the XML file I downloaded from AllProWebTools.

I choose to create new "Posts," then on step 2 selected "article" as the element I am looking for. On the next step I was able to drag the title and content pieces into their correct spots.

I continued following the rest of the steps and successfully uploaded the blog posts.

Please let me know if you still can not upload the blog posts.
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Maybe it's because I'm using a free version of the plugin, but I cannot see the entire content to drag and drop into the correct areas.

Also, I wasn't at all expecting to need to manually drag and drop these pieces even while using an importer - in my view, it kinda defeats the purpose of using an XML importer like this if I still need to manually drag pieces into their correct spots.
JohnB
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JohnB »

On step 3 of the import process, I had to drag the "title" and "content" elements to the correct locations, so that the importer would know what to do with the information, and how to create the posts. I only had to do this step once, and it remembered which elements belong where when it finished importing all of the blog posts.

Since at this point, you are getting a valid XML file from AllProWebTools, I would suggest trying to use their debugger again to try and upload the file. If it works on WP All Import's debugger, then there is likely another plugin, or something else about your wordpress install, that is preventing the importer from working properly.

It may also be useful for you to check their User Guide or their word press support forum
Agalassi1792
AllPro Expert
AllPro Expert

Post by Agalassi1792 »

Okay, I got it to work as it should. It was partly user-error on my part, I thought I had to copy and paste every piece into every field, didn't realize I could 'drag and drop' to generate a little code for each piece.

But thanks for helping me through this.
Steve173

Post by Steve173 »

We were directed to this forum question but it does not answer our question here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4907

There is no Export Blog option/button as described in Import/Export > User Data Download.....please advise how we do this?
data export options.jpg
data export options.jpg (255.93 KiB) Viewed 765 times
Pichamon326
AllPro Provider
AllPro Provider

Post by Pichamon326 »

Your account permissions have been updated. Please logout and login again.